Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Friday, February 20, 2009

Broccoli Salad

I am in a salad kind of mood. And that got me thinking. You know when you get asked to bring a salad to a family or friend get together, and all you can think of is "do I bring a green salad, maybe topped with tomatoes and a few other veggies, finished off with a new bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch, or do I start cooking the pasta and go buy the Italian dressing now?" Yep, that is what comes to my mind, either a green salad, or a pasta salad. Both are good in their own rights, but I like to get out of the "same old" salad mode. So today I will post 2 of my favorite salads. I have a lot of favorites, but today I chose these two.

The first one is what made Jason start to eat broccoli after a life long feud with the vegetable. I took this to a party at his house when we were dating before his mission. And to this day, he loves the stuff. It has become a regular at family parties. It is super easy to make, and makes quite a lot. I am sure it will become a family favorite of yours as well.

Broccoli Salad

5 cups fresh broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces.
1 cup red grapes
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup baco bits, (or cooked diced bacon if you are that ambitious)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 c red onion chopped (optional)

* Toss everything in a large bowl.

Dressing

1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
6 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

* Mix well and pour over salad

See, I told you it was easy!

3 comments:

Kati said...

Kent's has broccoli on sale this week for .69 cents! Yay for broccoli salad! :)

Jana and Family said...

I have had this salad before and I have to say it is one of my favorites also!

Michelle said...

Just to let you know, that this is one of our favorite salads. I love to make it!! Thanks for the recipe!!