Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick! So I got in line {again} to get the cold of the month. Yay me! I would love to make some really good chicken noodle soup, as we all know that chicken noodle soup is the best thing for a cold. But I leave that to my dear sister-in-law, Jamie. Let's hope she will share her fabulous recipe for that with us! {hint, hint}. Anywho, if I can't get Jamie's chicken noodle soup, I go to the next best thing, and it is not canned soup. Nope, it is my favorite soup ever. Broccoli Cheese Soup! Check below for recipes and tips to make your own bread bowls at home! Here is to hoping we all get better soon!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

6 c potatoes, cubed
2 c carrots, cut
2 c celery, chopped
1 c onion, chopped
2 1/2 c water
2 10 oz packages chopped broccoli
1/2 c butter
1/4 -1/3 c flour
2 c milk
1 Tbsp dry mustard
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb package Velveeta

* Steam veggies in water for about 20 minutes
* Add broccoli and cook until tender.
* Melt butter with flour (enough to make light to medium white sauce)
* Stir in milk, bouillon cubes, and seasonings.
* As sauce thickens, add cheese until it melts.
* Add veggies and any remaining water from steaming.

* This recipe will freeze well!

Holy Cats, that is 2 recipes that has broccoli as a main ingredient. Who woulda thought?

No comments: