Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chicken, Lime and Tortilla soup

Bountiful Baskets was amazing this week. I was really torn as to whether or not I was going to do it, seeing as we were going to be out of town. My awesome friend Natalie said that she would pick mine up for me if I wanted. So I did, and I am so very happy. I did not take a picture of all the goodness, but if I remember right there was watermelon, potatoes, radishes, lettuce, pears, apples, peaches, 3 huge green peppers, bananas, pink grapefruit, broccoli, avocados and more! I am so excited. I may note too that I also got the bushel of peaches. Man, I love this time of year!

So, I was deciding what to make first, and what recipe to post, when 2 different people asked me what to do with the 6, count them 6 avocados that we got. To me, I would have to restrain myself from garnishing everything with avocado. Then I realized that we are all unique, just like everyone else. And many may not know the joy that is avocado. So here is one of my favorite recipes that you just can't have without avocado. This soup is so yummy, so easy, I really could have it for dinner every night. It is not too spicy and the my kids love it when the cheese melts in the soup. The homemade tortilla strips also make this to die for. Try this one soon and see why you just can't have it with out avocados!

Chicken, Lime, and Tortilla Soup

6 cups chicken stock (6 cups water and 8 chicken bullion cubes)
1 fresh lime (juiced)
1/4 cup tomato juice
2 Jalapenos (seeded and chopped)
1 Tbsp minced onion
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (cubed and cooked)
1 can corn
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
12 white corn tortillas
oil for frying
1 avocado, diced
1 cup sharp cheese, (shredded or cubed)

* Place stock, lime juice, and tomato juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
* Add jalapenos, onion and 1/2 of the cilantro.
* Heat oil in a sauce pan to 360 degrees or use a deep fat fryer.
* Cut tortillas into julienne strips and cook in the oil until crispy.
* Add chicken and corn to the stock.
* You can leave it on a simmer until ready serve.
* Place tortilla strips, avocado, cheese and cilantro in bowls and allow guests to add to their soup as desired.

No comments: