Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake (perfect for picnics)

I need CHOCOLATE!
I need it NOW!

I totally have been feeling this way for some time now. Not that I run out and buy chocolate every chance I get. I am one of those that eats chocolate when I get stressed, lonely, happy, overwhelmed, you name it. Oh yeah, and I love chocolate. So to finally post a recipe, it has to be chocolate.

This cake is one of my favorites. There is no need for frosting, you can top it with cool whip if you want. I just grab a slice of it straight from the pan and eat it by hand. Maybe this is why I love this cake for picnics. It is very portable. The oatmeal in it makes the cake a little bit heavier and thus you do not eat the entire pan, but feel like you got a good bit of chocolate. It is one of the easiest cakes I know how to make and always hits the spot. I hope you try it soon!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

1 3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal

* Combine and let stand 15 min

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cube butter
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 T cocoa

* Combine ingredients and add to oatmeal mixture. Mix until butter is melted and batter is mixed well. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle top with milk chocolate chips and 1 c chopped walnuts (optional).
* Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min.
* Serve warm or cool, plain or with cool whip or vanilla ice cream.



1 comment:

landofnyedom said...

Hmm! Sounds good & easy. I might have to try that! :)
Holly