Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Monday, August 3, 2009

Bountiful Baskets

(This is one of the baskets that I got)
I really feel like I need to pass along this tip. Times are tough, and I just seem to be spending more and more at the grocery store. I have tried couponing and yes, I do like it and it does help. Yet I never see any coupons for produce, just some sales. Fresh produce is one thing that we love at our house. I would much rather give my kiddos nectarines than fruit snacks. I also am a firm believer in having your milk delivered. It may cost me slightly more, but then I do not run to the store for milk and end up with Oreos, more milk to go with the Oreos, and every other thing that was on sale, even though I did not plan to participate in that sale. It seems to get me every time. For example, Alberstons had a really good deal on soda pop. (Like we need that!) But I was in there picking up 1 thing that I forgot that we were out of and ended up with a cart full of "sales". It is just better for me to stay away as much as possible and having my milk and other dairy items delivered has really helped. So when I found out about Bountiful Baskets I was excited but also skeptical. It was one of those "too good to be true" things. I also was worried about the quality I would get. Was it really worth it? So let me explain a bit about it and why I am so excited.

Bountiful Baskets (click here for their website.) is a co-op of produce. They have pick-ups every other week. (This Saturday August 8th is one of them) They have slots that you have to reserve. Reservations are open on the Tuesday before the pick up at noon, and close the next day, Wednesday at 10:00 pm. Slots do fill up, so I recommend reserving yours on Tuesday. What you do is you go online and make what they call a "donation". This is $15.00 plus a $1.50 handling fee. If it is your first time, there is a $3.00 charge as well. You can order with friends and share the $1.50 handling fee. You just need one person to reserve all the slots for everyone. What this "donation" gets you is a basket of produce. 1/2 fruit, 1/2 veggies. It has been around 30 lbs of produce each time I have gone. (So about $.50/lb.... can't beat that!) You do not get to pick what produce you get. As Kenzi says, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Each time I have gone, I have loved all that I have gotten. And plan my meals with what I have. I was worried that the produce would be sub-par, and stuff that needs to be thrown out. This is not the case. All the produce is on the verge of being ripe. So you do not need to use it all that day.

Once you make your donation then you can also purchase cases of produce. The choices change each time. One time it was a case of peaches for $18.00. While another time it was 25 lbs of tomatoes for $10.00. They also do breads and speciality packs. The specialty packs I have seen are Italian and Mexican. Both come with spices and other produce to you would need to make some really good Italian or Mexican dishes. You can not purchase a case of produce, bread or a speciality pack without getting a basket. So if you are doing it with friends and one friend does get the basket, then you can add on your case, bread or pack on to theirs. You simply need to have at least one basket ordered.

If you forget to pick up your basket, or are late, (they usually only give you 20-30 minutes after the pick up starts to get your produce), they will donate it to the local fire house, where, they will either use it or donate it to a homeless shelter or other charity. There are no refunds.

Since this is a co-op, everyone is a volunteer. To volunteer, all you need to do is show up 1 hour earlier than the scheduled pick-up. Volunteers help sort the produce and help those who ordered pick up their produce. Volunteers also get to get their baskets first.

When you pick up your order, don't forget to bring a laundry basket or rubbermaid tote, something to take your produce home in. Many people bring gallon sized ziploc bags to organize their produce right there. I just take my laundry basket and sort my produce when I get home. I also recommend getting there 15-20 minutes early. The lines can be long and they fill up really fast.

You may be asking where are the pick ups? Check the website, there are many pick up locations through out Utah and Arizona. Arizona does have an organic pick up on the off weeks. Utah does not.

Wow, that is a lot of info. If you have questions, post them. I will be happy to help. I am just so excited about this that I really thought I needed to share! I love seeing the "sales" as the store and adding up what I would have paid if I had gone to the store to get all this produce. It is amazing to see the difference.

No comments: