Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Monday, April 6, 2009

Canning cheeses

I am back. I have been super busy with work, my CPC exam, and just life in general, (aren't we all?) So here is a quick post about canning. I love to can and have food storage. I love the feeling I get when I see all my hard work on the shelf. So I think I will start some posts about canning. For my first one, I choose something interesting. So here we go!

Here are instructions for canning cheese ... real cheese! Great for pizza and other recipes we can make with our food storage, but really are better with fresh cheese!

Canning Hard cheese (like cheddar and mozzarella - I tried both)
I took shredded cheese and packed it into wide mouth pint jars. (5 lb bag filled 6 pt jars) You can also use cubes of cheese, but the shredded was cheaper when I purchased it at Sam’s club. I put the jars into a pan of water. I bought the water to a boil. The cheese melted and I continued to fill the jars till ¾ inch from the top. I then put on hot new canning jar lids and rings and water bathed them in gentle boiling water for 35 min. I let it set for a week and had to try it. I opened the lid; it came right out onto the plate. It sliced great and tasted great. I can use this to shred onto a homemade pizza. This was easy to do and you don’t need a canner, just a deep enough pan for the water bath.

I have only done this once. I will keep you posted on the progress.

2 comments:

Jana and Family said...

that is an exciting idea to me. We love cheese here at our house and that would be very handy! Do you know how long it will keep?

Emily said...

Jana, I am not so sure as cheese is LOOOVED in this house. We have never had some on the shelf past 4 months. Worth a shot though.