Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Emily's Famous Chili

Okay, so there is one thing that I can make that just about everyone loves... even my kids. I love this recipe. It has some really great qualities to it. It is really yummy, it is easy, it makes a ton, so you can have some freezer meals. I am a huge advocate of freezer meals. If for any reason I am not home to make dinner, I can feel confident that my family will not go hungry or rush out to the nearest fast food joint. Plus, if I am asked to bring meals in to a friend, I already have some on hand, and even short notice is just fine by me! So give this one a try, I am sure you will love it.

Emily's Famous Chili

6 lrg cans diced (or crushed) tomatoes
3 lrg cans of chili with beans
4 green peppers, diced (yellow and red ones work too)
2 med red onions, diced
5 lbs of hamburger
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
4-5 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ginger (optional - however, it has been proven that ginger eases the stomach which helps your family have a more quietly and less stinky chili dinner, if ya know what I mean)
salt and pepper to taste.

* Mix raw hamburger, green peppers and onions in a LARGE stock pot.
* Simmer until hamburger is cooked thoroughly. Drain fat.
* Mix in the remaining ingredients.
* If using all 4 gallons of chili, simmer until hot. If not, separate into 1 gallon freezer bags, leave some for dinner and let that simmer until hot. If you put the chili in the freezer bags when it is hot, you will have to wait to put it in the freezer.
* Lay freezer bags flat in freezer, and do not stack until they have frozen as they may stick together.

Enjoy!

No comments: