Make sure to comment if you used a recipe. Let us know how it went!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Grandma B's Lemon Cake



So I was really wishing and hoping that I could get on the ball and take pictures when I cook. I really did. However, when ever I planned on the big cooking/photo shoot, something happened. So, major props to all those that do this on a daily basis! This time I had it all planned out. So excited. I love this recipe and it would be a really easy on to do. Then when I went to make it, so many things happened all at once, and I was forced to just hurry, make it and be done. Plus the kids and Jas had trashed the kitchen, and that is not a good back drop! So here we go.

Just a little background on this recipe. This is one of my favorites from my dear sweet Grandma B. She passed away many years ago. In fact the day of her funeral was the day that Jas flew out on his mission. It was a very sad day! She was an amazing Grandma and would make this cake. I loved it because it was not the usual chocolate or white cake from a box. Just eating it brings back so many memories. I think that recipes are some of the best heirlooms.

Grandma B's Lemon Cake

1 pkg Lemon Cake mix
1 sm pkg Lemon Jell-O
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
2 cups powdered sugar
4 eggs
2 lemons

* Beat cake mix, jello and eggs for 2 minutes.
* Add oil and water and beat for 1 more minute.
* Pour into greased and floured (baker's joy!!!) pan.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
* While cake is baking, make a glaze from the powdered sugar, grated lemon rinds and the juice from the lemons. To do this, simply blend ingredients. no heat is required.
* When cake is done, remove from oven and poke holes in the cake with chopsticks or a big fork.
* Pour glaze over the cake making sure to cover completely.
* Let stand several hours before serving.

No comments: